Marathon County Historical Society- home of the Yawkey House Museum & The Woodson History Center.
In 1907, after two years of planning and fund raising, the Wausau Free Public Library building was opened. The Neo Classical building was designed by architect George Maher, built by contractors Miller & Krause, on land donated by Walter Alexander
The building became the first permanent home for a city public library, although there had been efforts to develop a book collection for the citizens of Wausau by groups like the Pine Knot Library Club as early as 1871. In the early twentieth century, the scope of the library expanded from being a repository for books, to offering programs and services for the people of Wausau.
A major addition was finished in 1929 to increase the space of the library. This Parcher Memorial Wing as much as tripled the total floor space and added a “spacious stage” for programs.
By the 1960s, there was again a need for more space. And so between 1965 and 1968, a major expansion was made to the library, adding a new two-level adult department as well as a new children’s department.
1974 saw the building become the headquarters for a consolidated County-wide library system, when the Wausau Public Library merged with the Marathon County Public Library system.
The current building was built in 1995, which was designed to better address the needs of a modern public library.