Opening as a meeting hall and theater in 1855 with a concert by Swiss Bell Ringers, Washington Hall (622-626 King St.) had seating for over 600. The building is immediately to the right of the partially visible DRUG sign in the early 20th century photo below. A few years after this picture was taken, a fire consumed both this building and the one on the corner. They were replaced by a retail structure at the still very busy corner of King and Washington Streets.
Visible from the corner of Washington and King Streets at 115 S. Washington was what was known as the Methodist Episcopal Church when the Union occupied it in January, 1862. The church was occupied because of the congregation’s Southern sympathies. According to the church archives, the upstairs sanctuary became a hospital and the first floor became a stable. A new facade was constructed in the 1870s. The Federal government did pay $3,680 in Civil War reparations -- in 1915!