The U.S. Custom House and Post Office is a courthouse located in Downtown St.Louis. It was designed by architects Alfred Mullett, William Potter, and James Hill. The building was built between 1873-1884 and became one of the few Federal office buildings designed by Mullett that survived. The building is in the Second Empire architectural style popular in the post-Civil-War era. Mullett's other Second Empire buildings in Boston, Cincinnati, New York City and Philadelphia have been destroyed. The building's total construction cost was $5,686,854.68. The third floor of the building was occupied by the U.S District Court until 1935 and The Post Office remained until 1970, occupying the main basement and the first floor. Learn more about the history and architecture of the building through this documentary:
The three-story monumental granite building is 234 feet long and 179 feet deep. It includes a basement, sub-basement and attic level. The basement connects to a tunnel under 8th Street that was used for the delivery of mail to the post office. The basement material is red Missouri granite, while the upper floors are gray granite from Maine. The building surrounds a skylit inner courtyard. The interior structure is a mixture of wrought and cast iron, supporting arched brick floors in a system that was referred to at the time of construction as "fireproof." The principal facade is southern and features an iron mansard dome. Interior detailing was extensive, with art glass panels, mosaic tile floors and bronze door knobs imprinted with the Seal of the United States.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover image sourced from the U.S. Treasury Department and available in the Public Domain.