Connecting visitors with their ideal travel experiences in Tucson and Southern Arizona.
For more than a century, Tucson Warehouse and Transfer has provided great service to the city. The original 16,000 square foot, four-floor concrete structure cost just over $30,000 to build in 1918 and was designed by same the firm as the Hotel Congress. Back then, the space was used to store valuable personal items and help move goods from place to place.
As the main mode of transportation in those days was horses, there was a corral inside the building. The company employed mostly Clydesdales, which were used to move large items until 1935 when they were retired to a nearby farm. The third floor had 60-plus individual rooms that rented out for $35 a year, plus a $57 fee that covered the use of the water-powered elevator. This business model is quite possibly the forerunner to today's popular mini-storage units.
Over the years, the building has been home to an ice plant, a Mayflower moving company agent, and a plumbing supply company. These tenants often found relics of the past in the building, such as a vintage x-ray machine and a counterfeit money-making device that the police stored here.
Today, Tucson Warehouse and Transfer Studios offers convenient individual offices and co-working spaces. A contemporary art gallery shares the lobby area. But by far the biggest draw here is the Goddess of Agave (Mayahuel) mural splashed on the side of the building by local artist Rock Martinez. Come capture the vibrancy of the four-story street art and then post it to your account to inspire lots of ooohs and ahhh.
Cover photo credit: sapphirepoolservice via Instagram