“The Insider's Guide” Of Where To Go And What To Do In Chicago
Trebes park was originally a community center in the 1940s called the Robert Trebes Recreation Center and directly across from it was a spray pool, sandbox, and two playing fields. In the next decade, both of these were demolished, along with everything across the street.
In 1958, the new elementary school (Oscar Mayer Elementary School) was built on the northern half of the block and ended up being what saved the parkland. With Trebes Park being left up to the Board of Education to deal with, it was later restored to the tranquil place it is today. In 1991, the board gave the Chicago Park District full ownership of the park, which meant it would stay open to the public. The Sheffield Neighborhood Association has been working with the Chicago Park District since then to restore and maintain the park. Planting trees and beds of flowers, putting up fences and benches, and paving walkways have all helped the park grow community-wide for everyone to enjoy. An ornamental iron gazebo marks the entrance of the park along with their "award winning gardens."
With a baseball field, open grass field, playground, basketball court, and iron cast fences, the 1.85-acre park is great for all ages. The playground was brought to the park after a school teacher donated money to built a place for kids to play. The park is also heavily used and relied on for special events/fundraisers. Trebes park is one of the many parks in the area and is surrounded by boutiques, restaurants, bakeries, and DePaul University’s campus.