Tomasita's epitomize's Northern New Mexican food with recipes that have been passed down for generations. Opening in 1974, this restaurant has been a local favorite for more than 40 years as one of Santa Fe's oldest restaurants. The restaurant has always stayed in the Maryo/Gundry family and is currently third-generation ownership.
Tomasita's was founded by Georgia Maryol who started off in a small cafe on Hickox Street in 1974. Georgia brought local, New Mexican recipes to the restaurant and started building a dedicated clientele. Soon after, the demand of clientele outgrew the small space and, in 1979, Tomasita's moved to the red brick building by Santa Fe's railway. This building is the same spot where Tomasita's can be found today. Georgia retired in 2001 and passed management on to her cousin who still manages the restaurant today. The restaurant is now owned by Georgia's son, George Gundrey, who runs the restaurant with the same commitment to quality, family, and community.
The little red brick building where Tomasita's resides is a 100-year-old building that was once home to the station house of the famous Chile Line. The Chile Line was a railroad connection between Antonito and Santa Fe through mountain, mesa, and river valley. The track transported local goods such as lumber, pinon, wool, chile, and fruit. Due to the decline in the demand for lumber, the track stopped use in 1941. On September, 1, 1941, the Chile Line left the Guadalupe Station on its last northbound run. While the train no longer runs, left behind is still the brick station house which now houses Tomasita's!
Cover photo source: Kevin Baird CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 via Flickr