The mission of the Three Lakes Historical Society is to inspire an appreciation of the values and heritage of the Three Lakes, WI area. We pledge to preserve, exhibit, and engage our community and its visitors in our local history.
The Three Lakes theater was built originally from a Quonset hut after World War II. This type of theater design was easy to build and very cost effective, ideal for a smaller community like Three Lakes. In order to fund the construction of the movie theater, the town sold shares of stock to the community. In 1946, local former Major League Baseball player Cy Williams designed and constructed the theater and went on to win an award for his design. The original theater sat 346 people and helped provide entertainment for tourists visiting the town.
In the 1970s the theater was closed and stopped showing films. The building was portioned off into apartments and a storefront. After being closed for a few decades, the theater reopened in 2009 after renovation efforts worked to restore the theater to a center for entertainment in the town, now including a stage, dance floor, gallery, and concessions area. The ongoing renovation project is lead by the Three Lakes Center for the Arts and the community.