Marathon County Historical Society- home of the Yawkey House Museum & The Woodson History Center.
Growth is a central theme in the history of Wausau’s YMCA. As a place for exercise and fitness, it has ensured its members grow and remain well.
In 1891, C.J. Winton hosted boys in his home as part of the first YMCA program in Wausau. Two years later they had secured funding from the 270 members it served and built a building on Scott and Third Streets.
But by the turn of the century, the YMCA was outgrowing the Scott Street building, and a new home was built on Grant and Third Streets. This brick building became the center for the YMCA’s many programs that fulfilled their missions to “bring within its range an uplifting influence to the young men of the city and community.”
In 1962, the current building was constructed, with the support of the Woodson family. This Woodson YMCA was built by local architect George E. Foster, and features beige brick on top and Fond du Lac stone on the lower portions.
And in the decades since, the building has continued to grow alongside the people of Wausau. The Woodson YMCA building has undergone further additions to accommodate more programs and facilities. And there are plans for more growth in the future as well.