Marathon County Historical Society- home of the Yawkey House Museum & The Woodson History Center.
This Classical Revival House was built in 1901 for Cyrus and Alice Yawkey. Cyrus Yawkey was already a successful lumber baron when he and his family moved to Wausau in 1899, and he became a core part of a group of local businessmen and city leaders known as the Wausau Group in the early twentieth century.
The home underwent changes while the family lived there. The architect George W. Maher was brought in to renovate the house in 1907, and he brought a sympathetic, 'Arts and Crafts' motif to the interior. In 1910, the Yawkeys hired Morell and Nichols to design the garden on the corner of the block, which included natural shrubs and bushes, and a pool and pergola.
The building took on a new purpose after the death of Mrs. Yawkey in 1953 (Mr. Yawkey died a decade earlier), when the family gave the home to the newly formed, Marathon County Historical Society. From 1954 to 2008, the Yawkey House was home to the historical museum; a destination for curious tourists, an educational field trip for generations of school children, and resource for researchers of local history.
After MCHS acquired the Woodson House across the street in the mid-1990s, the Yawkey House underwent a period of historic renovation. Over decades of use as a museum, the home had been re-purposed to fit the needs of a working institution. But in 2008, the historical renovation brought the building back as close as possible to the state it would have been when the Yawkeys lived there, as the offices, storage, and exhibit space for the historical society were moved to the Woodson House.