Digital Storytelling and Visitor Analytics for City and Cultural Institutions
The historic Wigwam hotel is a direct descendant of the state’s early cotton ranching business. In 1918, the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company the company bought 16,000 acres of Arizona land for cotton farming and a few years later the company established the Organization House - the first building on the site which was a lodge for local ranchers. That was the very beginning of the Wigwam hotel.
The Wigwam officially greeted its first guests on Thanksgiving Day, 1929, with rooms to accommodate 29 guests. The original nine-hole golf course was built in 1930, and then later expanded to 18 in the 1940s. The resort and hotel have expanded steadily over the past 85 years, but a section of the original structure, The Organizational House, remains as a reminder of the Wigwam's tremendous past.
As of now, The Wigwam features 331 rooms, three full 18-hole golf courses, nine tennis courts; three swimming pools a fitness center, 29 fireplaces, and fire pits; 30,000 square feet of indoor meeting space with 25 separate meeting rooms and 55,000 square feet of outdoor meeting space. The soul of the Wigwam is rooted in the past and always honoring the pioneering spirit that built this beautiful escape from the everyday stresses of the world.
Cover photo courtesy of Emma Dau via Unsplash.