The Powder Magazine is South Carolina's oldest public building. It was constructed in 1713 under the orders of the proprietary government. It was used as a gunpowder storage facility periodically through the American Revolution. After, it was a livery stable, a print shop, a blacksmith shop, and even a wine cellar during the Civil War!
In 1902, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina purchased The Powder Magazine, saving it from demolition. This nonprofit group's restoration and renovation of the building is considered the first large-scale preservation project in the city. In 1903, they opened it as a tourist attraction. Since the building's tricentennial in 2013, it has house a colonial military history museum.