The Chicago Park District owns more than 8,800 acres of parkland, making it the largest municipal park manager in the nation. Visit the Chicago Park District's 597 parks, 26 miles of lakefront, 70 nature areas, & hundreds of programs.
Early on, the Park Board had decided having a beautiful landscape in Indian Boundary Park would be more important than accommodating a large array of recreational activities. In February of 1916, before the original park’s landscape had even been completed, neighborhood residents petitioned for a baseball diamond in the park. The board turned them down, explaining that trees and shrubs had already been purchased, and that ball playing would harm the landscape.
Over the next few years, there were several other requests for ball fields, and each time the board rejected them. The park board had its own police force, and from time to time, the Indian Boundary Park Policeman had to stop children from playing baseball in the park. To make the policy clear, the board installed more than a dozen “Keep off the Grass” signs in 1917.
The original park had a field house, pergola, flag and a fountain. When the Board expanded the park in 1922, they continued to follow their earlier philosophy, and the expanded park had no ball fields. Tennis was viewed differently than baseball. A board member first suggested having tennis courts in the park in 1921, and by 1924, tennis courts were built on the west side of the park, with more courts added two years later. A playground, wading pool, and the zoo were also added in the mid to late 1920s.