The pioneer of the Prairie school of architecture and the inventor of organic architecture, Frank Loyd Wright is perhaps one of the greatest architects to ever live. His construction, Falling Water House, has been called "the best all time work of American architecture." In Grand Rapids, one of his best examples of Prairie style architecture has been restored to its original glory.
The Meyer May House was commissioned in 1908 by Meyer S. May, who was the president of May's clothing store in Grand Rapids. When the house was built it bore a striking contrast to the Victorian style houses in the neighborhood and received some negative reception from neighbors.
After May died in 1936, the house remained empty for six years. It was purchased in 1942 and a number of changes were made to Wright's original design, so in 1985, Steelcase, an international furniture company founded in Grand Rapids, purchased the house and ordered it restored to its original state.
Before the restoration began, the original plans for the house as well as the additions were studied for months on end. Finally restoration began in 1986 and in 1987 the house opened to tours for the public. Today it is one of the most completely restored buildings of all Frank Loyd Wright's works.