Sts. Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Chicago was founded in 1968 out of a desire to preserve and faithfully adhere to the traditions of the Ukrainian Church. Construction of the new church was completed between 1971 and 1973.
The rounded gold dome, strong preference for circular patterns, and avoidance of angular design elements are typical of the Byzantine-Ukrainian style of 11th-13th century Ukraine.
A mosaic above the entrance depicts the Christianization of Ukraine. Christ is portrayed in a burgundy robe and another blue robe. Burgundy here denotes royalty, and, by extension, divinity, while blue symbolizes humanity.
A statue depicts Patriarch Josyf Cardinal Slipyj (1892-1984), founder of Sts. Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Chicago. In 1945, Patriarch Slipyj was arrested by the Soviet authorities and held prisoner in Siberian labor camps for 18 years. Thanks to the intervention of Pope John XXIII and President John F. Kennedy, he was released in 1963. He worked to restore self-government to the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the form of a Patriarchate.
Next to the church is the Ukrainian Cultural Center, completed in 1988. It is used by various parish-related organizations as well as art associations, scientific organizations, and professional and national groups. Receptions and events for the Ukrainian community take place here regularly.
A memorial outside the church with signs in both English and Ukrainian reads: "In memory of the Ukrainian heroes of the current war in Ukraine and the victims of Malaysian Flight MH17. Memory eternal!"