St. John's Church in Savannah is a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia. In 1841, the church was formed from the growing Christ Church, Savannah, as part of a plan that was looking to increase Episcopal presence in Georgia and to provide for the first bishop of the diocese. In addition to his Episcopal responsibilities, the bishop would be rector of both St. John's and Christ Church. Stephen Elliott, Jr. (August 31, 1806 – December 21, 1866) was consecrated as Bishop of Georgia on February 1841.
St. John's first building was consecrated in 1843. When the congregation suddenly started growing, the current building was established across from the Gren-Meldrim House that is now the church’s parish house. Green-Meldrim House was designed by Calvis N. Otis in the 1850s and it has been used for tours and also for wedding receptions and after-church events.
This church continues to use the Book of Common Prayer (1928) and their preaches are based on it. The services vary depending on the day but during the week there is a morning prayer (8:15 am) and evening prayer (5:30 pm). The mission of St. John’s Church is to build a community committed to share the gospel and to serve throughout different groups focused on specific topics like the Holly Day, for example.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Picture by Bubba73 (Jud McCranie) via Wikipedia. Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)