The Spanish–American War Memorial (also known as Memorial to National Auxiliary United Spanish War Veterans, or simply Memorial to Spanish War Veterans) is a 1937 memorial commemorating veterans of the Spanish–American War, installed in Battelle Riverfront Park.
The memorial, dedicated in August 1937, features a bronze relief plaque depicting a soldier holding a rifle. The plaque measures approximately 48.5 x 22 x 19 inches. One inscription reads: "YOU TRIUMPHED OVER OBSTACLES / WHICH WOULD HAVE OVERCOME MEN / LESS BRAVE AND DETERMINED" / PRESIDENT McKINLEY". Another reads, "THE HIKER'98", and one along the bottom of the plaque reads: "PRESENTED BY THE / NATIONAL AUXILIARY UNITED SPANISH WAR VETERANS / 54TH ANNUAL CONVENTION / AUGUST 22–26, 1937 / COPYRIGHTED N.A., V.S.W.V.". The plaque is one a stone base that measures approximately 17 x 27.5 x 29 inches. The monument was presented to the city of Columbus by the National Auxiliary. It was installed outside Columbus City Hall, and was relocated to Battelle Riverfront Park in 1937.
The Spanish–American War was an armed conflict between Spain and the United States in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of USS Maine in Havana harbor in Cuba, leading to U.S. intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. The war led to emergence of U.S. predominance in the Caribbean region and resulted in U.S. acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions.
Information sourced from Wikipedia