The Smith-Eslick Cottage Camp auto court building, listed in the State Register of Historic Places, was built in 1915, just prior to the opening of Rocky Mountain National Park and the development of improved automobile routes in the area. The Court is the earliest known accommodations in Grand Lake designed to shelter both tourists and their automobiles. The Cottage Court was a significant part of the auto-tourist lodging business and the Grand Lake tourism economy, offering lodging accommodations for the traveling public for more than 54 years. At a time when hotels and stand-alone cabins were the only accommodations offered to Grand Lake area visitors, the Court was unusual and a precursor of similar accommodations throughout the United States. With carports placed directly between the lodging units, all sheltered under a single roof, the Court is a very early and rare example of a lodging building designed specifically to accommodate tourists and their vehicles. Consistent with the Rustic style architecture, the Court was built from materials native to its site, primarily lodgepole pine.