The writer’s great grandfather, Henry Schnull came from Westphalia and built the building represented by this façade. Schnull came to Indianapolis in 1852 just one year after Clemens Vonnegut. He was the father of Kurt’s grandmother, Nanette Schnull, and father-in-law of Kurt’s grandfather, Bernard Vonnegut. The 1867 building was demolished in 1990 to make way for the Circle Center Mall. The Dolmetsch Company occupied it after 1905. Dolmetsch is the name of a character in one of Vonnegut’s short stories. Of all of the Schnull buildings in his Wholesale District, only this facade survives. The others are all gone. So it goes.
Cover Image: Facade of the Schnull & Co. Building. Image in the public domain. Source: NPS.