First constructed in the 1880s, when Orlando was little more than a citrus and cattle farming community, the Rogers Building was recently donated to the city of Orlando by businessman Ford W. Kiene, and has been officially renamed the Rogers Kiene Building. Designed by architect William H. Mullins in Queen Anne style, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
In its heyday, the Rogers Kiene Building was home to the Old English Club and the Cosmopolitan Club where settlers go together to have drinks and play billiards. The railroad revolution had just arrived in Orlando in 1880, and the city was starting to reap the economic rewards. Now the building houses an art gallery. featuring watercolor paintings and stoneware. The gallery hosts popular readings and music events. There is also a theater on the premises that hosts occasional productions. Check out the Rogers Kiene Building Facebook page for more information on upcoming events and exhibitions!
For those interested in the paranormal, urban legend has it that the ghosts of the original proprietor, Gordon Rogers, and his wife still haunt the Rogers building. It's free to enter the building, so ghost hunters have nothing to lose by stopping by! Even if the ghosts don't show, you can have a cup of coffee at the cafe, peruse the art gallery and perhaps take in a movie.
Cover photo Dual-licensed under the GFDL and CC-By-SA-2.5. Credit Ebyade, Wikimedia Commons.