Queen Village is a residential neighborhood that lies along the eastern edge of the city by the Delaware River. It is located immediately south of Center City. Historically, the area is part of old Southwark, Philadelphia's first suburb, which was incorporated into the city in 1854 and remains the city's oldest residential neighborhood.
The earliest European settlements in Queen Village were part of "New Sweden". Before this settlement, the region was inhabited by indigenous Lenape American Indians, who called the area "Wiccaco", or "Pleasant Place". In 1681, the land was granted to William Penn by the King of England and he renamed "Wiccaco" to "Southwark," after a district in London. After the war, Southwark became a thriving residential community and became a part of the city of Philadelphia. In the late 1800s, there was a large influx of Eastern European Jewish immigrants to this neighborhood, creating a neighborhood that resembled the Lower East Side in New York. After WWII, the area declined quite a bit due to families leaving the city for the suburbs. Recently, especially with great commercial growth around South Street, the neighborhood has experienced a revival.
Currently, the neighborhood is famous for galleries and restaurants along Fabric Row and the art installation, Magic Gardens, which draws tourists and locals alike from all over the city.
There are over 800 Queen Village buildings that are listed in the Philadelphia Historical Register.
The example of Capt. Thomas Moore House, a National Historic Landmark as well is shown below:
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Image sourced from Wikipedia (Public Domain) and image by John Dillion for HABS