Qingtian 76 gets its name from its location: No. 6, Lane 7, Qingtian Street. As architecture fans approach the building, they’ll see that the building incorporates Japanese and Western elements into one building design. This architectural style, called Japanese-Western Eclectic Architecture, was popular in Japan in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The style spread throughout Asia, including to Taiwan, which was under Japanese rule at the time.
Japanese agricultural scholar Masashi Adachi designed and constructed Qingtian 76 as his residence during the time he taught at Taipei Imperial University. In 1949, Qing Tian 76 became the residence of geologist and professor Ting Ying H. Ma until 2007. Today, Qingtian76 is considered a Municipal Relics site by the Taipei Municipal Government, and now provides a guided tour about Taiwanese history and geological knowledge to the general public as well as a Japanese restaurant for visitors to enjoy.
Post cover photo from 測鏡者 via Creative Commons search.