Washtenaw County's historic preservation program is dedicated to supporting local historic districts, spurring heritage tourism, and attracting investment in our historic resources.
Constructed in 1870 for approximately $1500, Popkins School is one of four remaining one-room school houses along the Esek Pray Trail.
1930s alterations moved the front door to a new side wing containing an entry and restrooms, and added a bank of windows onto the east wall. The building suffered a major fire in 1983, and was extensively rehabilitated in 2001-2002. It is designated as a Washtenaw County Historic District.
The historic resources on this driving tour are private property and meant to be enjoyed from the public right-of-way. Please do not trespass.