Marathon County Historical Society- home of the Yawkey House Museum & The Woodson History Center.
Before 1920, there was a small pond on the fairgrounds where today’s Splash Pad amuses children. Postcard pictures from the 1910s depict a fountain in the pond. The statue – if it was really there earlier – was gone by 1920.
As the Marathon County Park Commission worked through the 1920s to develop the park, they drained the pond and lined the bottom with white sand, “making it an ideal place for wading, one which will now be greatly enjoyed by many boys and girls.”
Next to the updated water feature, they built a log cabin to be “equipped as a comfort station, where women and children can dress and enjoy needed privacy.”
Over time, the cabin gave way to more modern bathroom facilities. The pond was completely renovated in 1989 into a wading pool with concrete bottom and newer water features. By 2004, the wading pool again needed renovation. It was replaced with the Splash Pad we know today.