Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is a botanical garden set in Schenley Park. Founded in 1893 by steel and real-estate magnate Henry Phipps as a gift to the City of Pittsburgh, the conservatory intends to educate and entertain people with formal gardens and various species of exotic plants. Elaborate gardens are housed within the fourteen room conservatory and its adjoining grounds. Called one of the "greenest" facilities in the world, Phipps holds multiple Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certifications and produces all of its own energy.
Fourteen indoor gardens and six indoor gardens are located within Phipps Conservatory. The indoor gardens located here are Palm Court, Serpentine Room, Fern Room, Orchid Room, Stove Room, South Conservatory, Tropical Fruit and Spice Room, Tropical Forest Conservatory, Gallery Room, Sunken Garden, Desert Room, Victoria Room, Broderie Room, and East Room. The outdoor gardens are the Rooftop Edible Garden, Japanese Courtyard Garden, Children's Discovery Garden, Outdoor Garden, Botany Hall, and Aquatic Garden.
The Center for Susatainable Landscapes (CSL) is a building located on the Conservatory grounds that is designed to be environmentally sustainable. Opened in 2012, the CSL produces all of its own energy and treats and reuses all water captures on site. The building has received a Platinum LEED certification, fulfilled the Living Building Challenge for net-zero energy, and earned Four Starts Sustainable Sites Initiative certification. These honors and certifications are the reason the CSL is considered one of the "greenest" buildings in the world.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Image sourced from Wikipedia (CC0).