The Palace of the Governors (Spanish: Palacio de los Gobernadores) (1610) is an adobe structure located in the Santa Fe Historic District and it served as the seat of government for the state of New Mexico for centuries. The Palace of the Governors is the oldest continuously occupied public building in the United States.
In 1610, Pedro de Peralta, the newly appointed governor of the Spanish territory, began construction on the Palace. The Palace later changed hands as the territory of New Mexico did during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, the Spanish reconquest, Mexican independence in 1821 and finally American possession in 1848. Originally, the Palace was the home of the government of the Spanish colony of Nuevo Mexico. The colony included Texas, Arizona, Uta, Colorado, Nevada, California, and New Mexico. Following the Mexican War of Independence, the province of Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico was administered from the Palace of Governors. The Palace became New Mexico's first territorial capitol when New Mexico was annexed.
Anthropologist Dr. Edgar Lee Hewett invited archeologist Jesse L. Nusbaum to oversee the 1909 restoration of the Palace of the Governors, which had since fallen into disrepair. Nusbaum was the first employee of the Dr. Edgar Lee Hewett led School of American Archaeology. Nusbaum's journal reveals his belief in the importance of melding the Palace architecture with the environment. His philosophy is also evident in his work as Superintendent of Mesa Verde National Park.
For the century between 1909 and 2009, the Palace was the site of the State History Museum. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Cover image "Palace of the Governors" is by Mr.TinDC is licensed under CC BY 2.0.