This brutal concrete bunker office building is on the site of the Indianapolis/Shortridge High School, the first public high school in the city. It stood here from 1885 to 1928. Kurt’s great-grandfather, Clemens Vonnegut, spent nearly 30 years on the Indianapolis school board, reforming public education in the city. His four sons furthered their education at Indianapolis High School. The school originally occupied a former residence on this site and in 1885 built a real high school building. Vonnegut & Bohn designed the 1905 major addition to the school, which included a gymnasium and an auditorium. The Indianapolis High School was renamed in 1897 for Abraham Shortridge, the reforming superintendent of public schools. The school relocated three miles northward in 1928.
Cover image: Diego Delso, CC-BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.