The Milwaukee County Historical Society was founded in 1935 to collect, preserve, and make available materials relating to the history of the MKE community.
The North Point Lighthouse was originally built in 1855. The lighthouse was rebuilt due to shore erosion in 1888 and raised to reach above the tree line in 1912. Next to the lighthouse sits a Queen Anne-style keeper's quarters.
The North Point Light played an important role in Milwaukee’s maritime trade for over 120 years, and served as one of the lighthouses that made transport and travel possible across the Great Lakes. It remained in use until decommissioned in 1994.
The 74-foot tower has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984 and on the Register of Historic Lighthouses since 1980. The North Point Lighthouse Friends finished restoring both the lighthouse and the keeper’s quarters in 2007. The property was designated for its historic and architectural significance.
Cover image source: northpointlighthouse on Instagram