The first initiative to document historic and cultural sites associated with the LGBT community in New York City, illustrating the richness of the city's history and the community's influence on America.
This venue was originally known as the Theatre Republic. There were two known plays by gay playwrights at this theater, both rather successful: Lover’s Lane (1901) by Clyde Fitch (opened at the Manhattan Theater), and Where Poppies Bloom (1918) by Roi Cooper Megrue.
In 1931, it was converted to burlesque, then in 1942 to movies. The theater was restored and reopened in 1995 as the New Victory Theater for family-oriented fare.
Architect or Builder: Albert Westover Year Built: 1900
Internet Broadway Database.
Credit: Sarah Sargent/NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, 2019.