The building that now holds Mrs. K’s Toll House Restaurant was once an actual operating toll house. In the days of the horse and carriage, travelers would stop and pay a toll before using the privately owned road.
Over the years the building had a wide variety of incarnations, including a stretch as a roadside tavern and speakeasy. The building was bought in 1929 by Blanche and Harvey Kreuzburg. The couple fulfilled their dream of owning their own restaurant, and Mrs. K’s Toll House Tavern officially opened for business on April 1, 1930. Mrs. K's was an immediate hit with the locals in the 1930s and has maintained this status through the decades. Over the years, Mrs. K's has collected an incredible amount of antiques that are now displayed throughout the dining room.
The menu at Mrs. K's respects the past without being stuck in it. Classic dishes have been revamped with modern techniques and diners will enjoy the best of both. The fixed priced brunch at Mrs. K's is extremely popular and a reservation is recommended. Tuesdays are also usually really busy at Mrs. K's because of the Taco Tuesday promotion of $5 tacos and margaritas. For dinner, a local favorite is the seared duck breast with roasted butternut squash, farro grain, broccolini, and romesco sauce. Another popular dish is lamb chops with whipped sweet potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, and cranberry demi-glaze. The building has an extensive wine cellar, and the wine menu has a great variety of continental and American wines. Mrs. K's Toll House remains one of the best historic restaurants in the D.C. area.
Cover photo courtesy of Kevin Kelley. via Unsplash.