The Montford Area Historic District is a mainly residential neighborhood in Asheville that is included in the National Register of Historic Places.
Asheville Loan, Construction, and Improvement Company began developing the Montford neighborhood in 1889. The firm purchased and subdivided tracts of undeveloped land north of Battery Park and sold lots. It was only when George Willis Pack, a lumber tycoon from the Midwest, moved to Asheville in 1885 and began developing the Montford area. Today, George Willis Pack is best known as a philanthropist and benefactor of the Asheville Library and principal public square. He also donated land for Montford Park on the southern end of Montford Avenue.
The village of Montford was annexed into the city of Asheville in 1905. The neighborhood was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. In 1981, the Asheville City Council designated the Montford Historic District a local historic district.
The homes in the Montford Area Historic District represent an amalgam of architectural styles including Victorian, Queen Anne, Arts and Crafts, Neoclassical, and Colonial Revival. Also common are homes built to resemble castles. The architects and builders of Montford were strongly influenced by a variety of progressive styles and design ideas that were emerging nationally in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
The Rankin House at 192 Elizabeth Street is Montford's oldest home, a Greek Revival style residence built around 1846 with Italianate embellishments.
All information is sourced from Wikipedia. Cover image is from Wikipedia (CC BY-SA 3.0.)