One would not know it by a casual look, but the west half of this building was built in 1924. It experienced a radical makeover in 1968 to its present appearance and size. Vonnegut, Bohn & Mueller designed the west half to be the home of the Meyer-Kiser Bank. It is one of several bank buildings designed by the firm. The Meyer-Kiser Bank was founded by Sol Meyer and Sol S. Kiser in 1906. The original facade was designed with Beaux Arts flourishes applied to a twelve-story high-rise. Most of the glazed terracotta details were in the top and bottom floors. A glimpse of the building’s historic identity can be seen on the west alley side. The destruction of the VB&M facade was described as a “...part of the continued progress of downtown Indianapolis.” So it goes.
Cover image: Bernard Vonnegut, grandfather of Kurt Vonnegut and founder of architectural firm Vonnegut & Bohn. Image in the public domain.