Mexico ousted the Spanish in the Mexican War of Independence in 1821 and created the Province of Alta California. The San Diego Mission was secularized and shut down in 1834. Residents were asking the governor for a town and the first major elected was Juan María Osuna.
The original town of San Diego was located at the foot of Presidio Hill. It wasn’t an ideal location because it was too far from the ocean. Goods and exports had to be carried away all the way to La Playa Trail. This arrangement was possible just because it took very little time. However, the situation was very precarious and the town lost its town status due to a declining population. It was considered a suburb of Los Angeles.
Check out this video to understand more about the Mexican Period.
During the Mexican-American War, the control of the city was exchanged three times: first, in July of 1846, when the USS Cyane and the California Battalion took control; then, in October of the same year when California forces took control; and last, when the American flag was raised again over the town. American control was secured with the arrival of reinforcements from the USS Congress in 1846. What happened next was an important event close to San Gabriel in 1847, when peace came back to California.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Picture courtesy of Bernard Gagnon on Wikipedia. Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)