Media Burn Archive collects, restores and distributes documentary video created by artists, activists and community groups.
McCuddy’s tavern opened its door in 1910, just a couple months before the old Comiskey Park opened. For the next 78 years, it remained directly across 35th Street and served as a meeting place before, after, and even between games for some ball players.
During his years as owner of the White Sox, the legendary Bill Veeck was a regular patron. In this 1984 interview, Frances McCuddy, daughter of the bar’s founders, shares memories of her parents and the days of Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio, who would come in for Ma McCuddy’s roast beef on homemade bread, plus a beer or two. McCuddy’s closed in 1988 and was torn down to make room for the new ball park. Many Sox fans will always miss the tavern, the owners, and the way of life it represented.
Neighborhood taverns are still a part of life in Bridgeport. You can see several quiet and unassuming bars on this residential strip of 33rd Street, two blocks away from 40,000 cheering fans.