Welcome to Architecture Grand Rapids where you will find guided architectural tours, stories about homes and buildings, interesting neighborhoods, classic and modern architectural styles, and a growing list of architects and contractors who created the built environment in Greater Grand Rapids and neighboring cities between 1850-1980.
Details: The 1915 neoclassic and beaux arts building designed by Osgood & Osgood looms large over the Fulton Street hill. The imposing front entry features pediment and bracket trim and there are massive three-story Greek columns across the front facade setting off one and two-story banks of windows. The building is topped off with an ornate cornice featuring Masonic symbols. The building has been described as a near-twin to the Masonic Temple in Canton, Ohio also described by the Osgood.
History: Sydney and Eugene Osgood, were a well-known father/son architectural team. Sydney, originally from New England, was one of the first architects practicing in Grand Rapids during the post-war period and his son Sidney studied architecture at Cornell University. They received the commission to build the Temple after designing both the Battle Creek and Adrian Masonic Temples. Both were high-ranking Masons, and Eugene was just 34 years old at the time they received the commission. Today the interior has a large auditorium, offices and an archive/library.