The Good City Group is a salon-style urban design group of architects, industrial designers, urban planners, design strategists, IT professionals and policymakers from diverse practice areas dedicated to healthy, sustainable cities.
In 1873, David L. Roberts’ heirs donated the parkland called Roberts Square to the village of Jefferson, honoring his will after his death in 1864. Since then, Roberts Square Park has been the center of the community’s public life, a natural front yard to the school and to the houses that surround the square.
Chicago neighborhoods often include the word park in their names, referring to the green spaces that served as central community gathering places. Jefferson Park’s namesake park, Thomas Jefferson Memorial Park, situated at Long and Higgins Avenues, entered the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 because of its significance as a local and regional landmark, and its adaptability to the evolving needs of the community. Wilson Park, technically in Portage Park, is very much at the center of the community that Jefferson Park people call theirs, given these sites were originally owned by the Roberts and the Snells.
Many of Jefferson Park streets also offer carefully tended green spaces, with front yards and parkways carefully maintained by residents whose private spaces contribute to the public beautification of their neighborhoods.