Since its inception in 1947, Historic Charleston Foundation has continuously earned regional and national respect as a preservation-focused yet future-oriented and solution-driven organization. The Foundation’s commitment to advocacy, preservation and education means its staff is at the table, demanding careful consideration for any proposed development and, when necessary, taking action to protect that which keeps Charleston first in the hearts and minds of so many near and far. Residents and visitors alike can join the Foundation in both celebrating and protecting the “historic authenticity, cultural character and livability of the region through advocacy, stewardship and community engagement.”
The current headquarters for Historic Charleston Foundation and former dwelling of the Missroon family, who throughout the 1800s added significantly to the original 1789 structure, the James Missroon House has a long legacy of significant contributions to Charleston’s history and presence on the Battery. One such story is that of Robert Smalls--on this site in 1862, African American Robert Smalls made his way onto CSS Planter in a Confederate-controlled Charleston Harbor, and sailed his family and other enslaved people into the hands of the Union army, where he served the US Navy.