The Grosvenor House at 414 North Washington Street was built around 1830, as an excellent example of a Greek Revival-style residence. The Quartermaster map below shows that wooden barracks, for use as hospital wards, were built directly west of the residence at 414 N. Washington Street, along with laundress quarters, deadhouse, a smoke room, and a sink (i.e., privy). The hospital opened on August 17, 1862. with 160 beds most of which would have been in the 20'x100' ward.
Following the war, Montgomery Dent Corse, a brigadier general with the Confederacy and native Alexandrian, lived there. Around 1906, local merchant and druggist Clarence C. Leadbeater and his wife Lillian moved into the home. In 1959, the house was noted in the Historic American Buildings Survey as “undoubtedly the best preserved example of the Greek Revival in town.” Only a year later, the property was sold and the house razed and replaced by an office building.
Across Washington Street from the Grosvenor House was the Lee-Fendall House, which was called the Grosvenor Branch Hospital. The property was originally owned by Revolutionary War hero Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee, the father of Robert E. Lee. He sold the lot to his cousin Philip Richard Fendall, who built this wood frame house in 1785. From 1785 until 1903, the house served as the home to 37 members of the Lee family. In 1863, the Union Army seized the property for use as a as a branch of the Grosvenor Hospital. The Army also constructed a dead house on the grounds. Of note, Dr. Edwin Bentley, in charge of the U.S. Army General Hospital in Alexandria, performed the first successful blood transfusion in North America there. After the war the house was owned by various locally prominent families and one of the nation’s most controversial and significant 20th century labor leaders, John L. Lewis (1937-1969). Today, the Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden interprets American history through the experiences of those who lived and worked on the property from 1785 to 1969.