We save the real places that tell the real stories of Texas.
Although Texas did not have a system of free public education at that time, it did offer subsidies for students attending private tuition schools who could not pay.
The German-Texans organized several schools under this system, paying for teachers and buildings with a combination of state funds, donations and tuition.
Civil engineer Wilhelm von Rosenberg donated land at this site for the school. Within a month, German Texan volunteers began construction of the school building.
The first school in Austin chartered by the Texas Legislature, the German Free School Association opened in 1858 with August Weilbacher and Julius Schutze as its first teachers.
The 1857 building with rammed earth outer walls contained two classrooms and a basement. About 1872, a two-story limestone section was added to provide four additional classrooms.
Julius Schutze returned to teach in 1880 and moved his family into the schoolhouse.
Schutze published the Texas Vorwaerts newspaper here for a time and eventually gained title to the property.
Kelly Stevens, an Austin artist, purchased the building in 1948 and lived there until his death in 1991. The building was deeded to the Texas Historical Commission at the time.
The German Free School is a City of Austin landmark and an Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.