The University of Michigan established the Institute of Public and Social Administration (established in 1936) as the School of Public Policy in 1995, with Lorch Hall as the host building. In 1999, the school was named in honor of Gerald R. Ford, the 38th President of the United States and a 1935 graduate of the University of Michigan.
In the fall 2006, the Joan and Sanford Weill Hall became the new permanent home of the Ford School. The Weill family donated money for the construction of a new building as well as the endowment for the position of dean of the school. The five-story structure, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, houses several research centers, a policy library, and study areas for students. At the same time, the school began admitting University of Michigan undergraduate students to a new bachelor's in public policy degree program.
Robert A.M. Stern architects is a New York-based architecture firm. In addition to Weil Hall, they designed, Fell Hall at Brooklyn Law School; The Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia; the Museum of the American Revolution; and the George W. Bush Presidential center.
Cover image by the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0. Information courtesy of Wikipedia.