Frick Park is the largest municipal park in Pittsburgh, covering 644 acres. In 1919, the park was established and named after Henry Clay Frick, who owned the lot where Frick Park stands today.
Childs Frick, Henry Clay Frick's son, developed a lifelong love of animals in the woods of Frick Park. Childs Frick eventually became a renowned American vertebrate paleontologist.
Over the years, Frick Park expanded past the original lot in Point Breeze and now includes Squirrel Hill to the border of Edgewood. Though Pittsburgh is a city Frick helped industrialize, Frick Park is one of the few areas that remained relatively undisturbed. Since its establishment, the park has formed into a nature reserve of native plants and abundant wildlife. The Frick Environmental Center is located within Frick Park grounds. The site includes indoor and outdoor classrooms, public restrooms, and other facilities open to the public. The center has various energy-efficient and green features and was certified as LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum.
The park includes a playground, known as the Blue Slide playground, and a dog park. The annual Pittsburgh "Shakespeare in the Park" performance occurs in the upper portion of the park.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Image sourced from Wikipedia (CC0).