Welcome to Northwestern Settlement! Since its founding in 1891 during Chicago’s Settlement House movement, the Settlement has evolved into a West Town community mainstay.
Northwestern Settlement, founded to assist neighbors in need, initially addressed one of the most basic needs, food security, with a cow.
In 1897, the Settlement started to distribute sterilized milk to neighbors, and expanded the program by joining the city health department’s effort to combat infant death rates with pasteurized and modified milk for tenement children. With the help of the Settlement cow, Northwestern Settlement had established its first food service program.
The program later evolved into the Food Pantry and Family Support program, which today provides 400,000 pounds of food, and 10,000 pounds of clothing and supplies, to 4,400 neighbors each year.
Head back outside and turn right down the stairs to the courtyard ... the early childhood education rooms aren't open to the public, but the program's garden is!