Marathon County Historical Society- home of the Yawkey House Museum & The Woodson History Center.
In response to the passage of Workers Compensation Law in 1911, a group of prominent Wausau businessmen (known as the Wausau Group) established the Employers Mutual Liability Company of Wisconsin to underwrite policies for the companies they owned, such as the three major paper mills.
Employers Mutual, later known as Wausau Insurance, grew rapidly in the next thirty years. Although the company expanded into markets across the United States, the home office remained in Wausau, but in six different buildings. So to centralize the business in one location and accommodate the growing company, Employers Mutual purchased a city block for a new headquarters.
The large Art Deco style building of limestone was designed by Chicago architects Childs and Smith, and includes metal grid work and art glass windows. It was opened in 1941, and was the center for further growth of the company in the middle of the century.
A new building complex on the West side of Wausau was built for Employers Mutual in 1967, and the Grant Street building was sold to the city of Wausau. The old City Hall on Forest Street was in need of replacing, and the former insurance building was centrally located and was more affordable than building a new building elsewhere.