Six Square is the nexus of thriving Black arts and culture in Central East Austin. We re-animate cultural spaces, connect community, and honor the past, present, and future of Austin’s Black Cultural District.
The presence of the Dedrick-Hamilton house in East Austin represents the resilience and strength that defines the African American community in the Six Square District. Thomas Dedrick, one of the first freed slaves in Travis County, Texas, built the house in 1880. Dedrick and his family were ingrained in the lives of the Black community. Dedrick served as a Commander for the Knights of Pythias, a local charitable fraternal order. His wife Sarah founded the Community Welfare Association in 1927. In 2006, the Dedrick-Hamilton house was chosen to be restored after being recognized for its historical significance to the African American community in Austin.
The Dedrick family’s investment in their community reflects the space that was created by Black people during their forced segregation to East Austin as implemented by the City of Austin's 1928 Master Plan. The close-knit and familial environment created in schools, community centers, and restaurants in the Six Square District by Black people helped the district thrive in the midst of state-sanctioned oppression and discrimination. The Dedrick-Hamilton house serves as a reminder for the Six Square District’s long standing residents and new residents alike of the presence of the Black community in East Austin, and the importance of preserving the rich and influential historical landmarks in the district.