The Cobblestone Farm and Museum, which includes the Dr. Benajah Ticknor House (also known as the Ticknor-Campbell House) gets its name from the cobblestone used to build the farmhouse. It is designated as a Michigan State Historic Site and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The site of the Cobblestone Farm had been a farm as far back as 1824 and remained an operating farm well into the late 20th century. Ezra Maynard cleared the land where the farm sits and sold it the Heman Ticknor, who purchased it on behalf of his brother, in 1835. Heman Ticknor built a small house on the property, and in 1844, his brother, Benajah Ticknor, build the cobblestone farmhouse.
Benajah Ticknor was a surgeon with the navy, and traveled extensively until he retired in 1854. He lived on the farm with his wife Getia and their two adopted daughters. When he passed away in 1858 his medical library was donated to the University of Michigan.
In 1860, Horace Booth purchased the farm from Getia Ticknor. He made improved and farmed the property with the help of his son Nelson. They added the fountain that you can still see today. Just over 20 years later in 1881, William Campbell bought the farm and it remained in the family until 1972, when it was purchased by the city for use as a museum. The farmhouse has been restored to its mid-nineteenth-century appearance to give visitors a feel for the community's pioneer history.
The Dr. Benajah Ticknor House is a rectangular two-story Classical Revival house with a side-gable roof constructed of cobblestones laid in a herringbone pattern. The center front entrance is flanked by Doric pilasters, and the corners of the house feature stone quoins.
The 1 1⁄2-story frame ell in the rear is the original 1835 house constructed by Heman Ticknor. In the kitchen stands a large fireplace with bake oven and water heater made from hand-hewn brick. Very few alterations have been done to the building, and both exterior and interior are in essentially original condition. In addition to the cobblestone farmhouse, the Museum property also includes a large barn, tool shed, corn crib, and smokehouse. A c. 1835 log cabin, moved to the property from southeastern Washtenaw County, is also on display.
Cover image by Dwight Burdette at English Wikipedia, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35033950. Information courtesy of Wikipedia.