The American Writers Museum celebrates American writers through innovative, state-of-the-art exhibitions and compelling programming.
The Tribune was one of the most widely circulated dailies within a city famous for its abundance of newspapers. By 1900, Chicago had nine general circulation papers. In addition, there were newspapers devoted to specific topics like finance, politics, and religion, and in foreign languages including French, Polish, and German.
Inclusive of many newspapers, television and radio stations, the Chicago Tribune is the founding business unit of the Tribune company, which has since been renamed Tribune Media Company, hosting these sectors of major Chicago media, and others around the country. The Chicago Tribune is a daily newspaper based in Chicago, Illinois founded in 1847 by James Kelly, John E. Wheeler, and Joseph K. C. Forrest, aiming to be the “World’s Greatest Newspaper.” Today it is the most-read daily newspaper in Chicago and the Great Lakes region. After the Chicago Tribune’s parent company purchased the Los Angeles Times, this newspaper became the second largest under the Tribune’s ownership, and by circulation, the eighth-largest newspaper in the United States. In the 1920’s, Colonel Robert R. McCormick took control of editorship, and the paper became strongly aligned with the Old Right in political and social coverage, with the motto, “The American Paper for Americans,” between the 1930s and 1950s.
The original Tribune Tower was built in 1868, but was burned down by the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. In 1922, the Chicago Tribune hosted a design competition for its new headquarters, attracting a lot of publicity for the publication. Out of the 260 entries, the architects John Mead Howells and Raymond Hood won the competition to design the new Tribune Tower. By the request of Colonel McCormick, correspondents of the Chicago Tribune have acquired a variety of fragments from historical sites across the world. These fragments have been incorporated into the walls of the exterior of the Tribune Tower. Some of the 149 fragments of the building are pieces from Taj Mahal, the Parthenon, The Berlin Wall, Notre Dame de Paris, the Great Wall of China, and many more historical sites. A piece of steel from the World Trade Center has also been added to the wall since 2001. The Chicago Tribune has been running out of the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile since 1925. It is listed as a landmark to the city, contributing to the Historic District. Today, the Tribune Tower houses the restaurant Howells & Hood, named after the architects, on the ground level.