Digital Storytelling and Visitor Analytics for City and Cultural Institutions
Cathedral Square Park is a small park located in central Milwaukee, across from the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist.
Originally known as Courthouse Square, the land was donated by city co-founder Solomon Juneau in 1836, and housed a courthouse and jail. In 1854, A mob of 5,000 people converged at the jail to rescue Joshua Glover, a runaway slave captured and imprisoned by federal marshals. During the American Civil War, the land around the courthouse was used as a place to assemble for troops leaving for or returning from the front.
A second courthouse was built on the site in 1873, and was used until 1931 when the current Milwaukee County Courthouse was built. The jail was moved to another site in 1886.
The area became a park in 1939 after the second courthouse was demolished. Since then, it has become a popular meeting place and host for events such as Jazz in the Park and the farmers' market, and as the site of the city's official Christmas tree.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Photo taken by Dori and sourced from Wikipedia (CC BY-SA 3.0 us)