Located in downtown, the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph is a large Roman Catholic Church that serves as the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose with the distinction of minor basilica. It is named for Saint Joseph, patron saint of the universal church and namesake of San Jose. Originally, it was called San Jose de Guadalupe and it was built on the site of the current basilica in 1803. It was the first non-mission parish that was built in California for the benefit of the Spanish settlers.
In 1818, there was an earthquake that damaged the original adobe structure and in 1822, a new church was built from 1835 to 1846. A decade after, another earthquake hit the city and damaged the second church, so it was necessary to build a third one in 1869. However, this one got destroyed by a fire in 1875. A temporary forth one was built blocks away while the fifth (current church) was being constructed. The current portico was completed in 1884 and the large dome was finished the year after. A renovation project started in 1981 that became the cathedral for the new Roman Catholic Bishop of San Jose.
The church was elevated to a cathedral in 1985 and the restoration ended in 1990. It replaced Saint Patrick Proto-Cathedral Parish, located a few blocks away, as the cathedral of the diocese. In 1997, the cathedral was made a minor basilica by Pope John Paul II. The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph is listed as a California Historical Landmark and also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cover Picture by David Leigh Ellis on Flickr. Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0). Information sourced from Wikipedia.