We save the real places that tell the real stories of Texas.
Camp Peña Colorado was originally known as Cantonment Peña Colorado. It operated as a military post for the United States Army for almost fifteen years in the late 1800s. The post was constructed on Peña Colorada Creek right next to a large spring and beneath a high bluff called Peña Colorada which is Spanish for "Red Rock."
Camp Pena Colorado is located five miles south of Marathon and now functions as a public park. During the 19th century, Comanches camped here on raids to Mexico. The primary mission of the garrison at Camp Peña Colorado was to provide escort through the region, perform scouting duties, and pursue criminals, border raiders, horse thieves, and other bandits. Famous Buffalo Soldier Lt. Henry O. Flipper also served here before the post closed in 1893.
Cover Photo by Brent Schneeman via Flickr