Digital Storytelling and Visitor Analytics for City and Cultural Institutions
Burns Commons is a park located in the East Side neighborhood of Milwaukee. It is split into two sections by Knapp Street with the larger, northern section that is landscaped with trees, lawn, walkways, and public art installations. The smaller southern portion holds a statue of Scottish poet Robert Burns.
In 1847, James H. Rogers, a developer, donated the land to the city as a park. This marked the beginning of one of Milwaukee's earliest parks. At the time of creation, it was named First Ward Park and was later named Franklin Square. As stately homes were built around the park, four of the neighboring homeowners took on its upkeep. They provided landscaping and built a fountain. By the turn of the century, the park was known as Baby Park, since the nannies in the surrounding neighborhood took the children they cared for to the park.
In 1909, a statue of Robert Burns was donated by Scottish immigrant James Anderson Bryden and erected on the south end of the park. The bronze statue, set on a plinth of Nova Scotia granite, was designed by Scottish sculptor William Grant Stevenson.
At that time, the park became known unofficially as Robert Burns Triangle. In 1994 the park was officially renamed to Burns Commons.
As of 2019, the Milwaukee Streetcar M-Line begins and ends on the north-east side of the park at the intersection of East Ogden Avenue and North Prospect Avenue.
Information sourced from Wikipedia. Cover Image from Wikipedia (Creative Commons BY SA 4.0) and taken by Maximillian77