The Brooklyn Historical Society is a museum, library and educational center dedicated to encouraging the exploration and appreciation of Brooklyn's diverse peoples and cultures both past and present.
The Brooklyn Historical Society has been in existence since 1863. It was first founded as the Long Island Historical Society when the area was going through drastic changes. Brooklyn’s citizens were dedicated to commemorating the history of the area’s rural roots. The Brooklyn Historical Society is now nationally recognized.
Founded by the city’s more prominent citizens, the Society was built as a center for dialogue about history. A large part of Brooklyn's history is entwined with the abolitionist movement. Brooklyn's past is full of influential, well-known people leading the fight against slavery.
The Society, which still holds many talks and lectures regarding the anti-slavery movement, is located in the Pierrepont Building.
The Pierrepont Building in Brooklyn Heights dates back to 1881. It is a four-story Queen Anne-style building by the well-known architect George Browne Post. He was selected after the Society held a contest for a design.
Looking at the building, you will notice the ornamental terra cotta facade. Post’s design included a truss system that was technologically innovative at the time in order to support the ceiling of the central library. As of 1991, the building is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. The society has recently expanded to a second location in Dumbo.
Cover photo credit: @nhurley via Instagram